Leon County Schools - Home Education Program
Beginning in the fall of 2011, all home education students who "drop in" for services at a school site must have up-to-date immunizations. Please call the Home Education Office with questions.
Home Education, as defined in Section 1002.01 Florida Statutes, is "sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent or guardian in order to satisfy the requirement for compulsory education as defined in Florida Statutes 232.01." No specific curriculum is prescribed.
Leon County Schools Home Education Program gives parents the freedom to determine their child’s educational path and allows students to learn and explore at their own pace, in any location or at any time of the day. Below are links to information and forms.
- Legal Requirements
- How to Register for the Home Education Program
- Home Education Registration Form (pdf)
- Letter of Intent (pdf)
- Evaluation Form (pdf)
- Home Education Termination Form (pdf)
Bright Futures Scholarship Program
In 1997, the Florida Legislature created the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program to reward students for their academic achievements during high school by providing funding to attend postsecondary education in Florida.
Home School Dual Enrollment Program
Students who do not attend a high school but receive instruction at home are considered home-school students. The TCC Home School Dual Enrollment program offers home school juniors and seniors the opportunity to earn college credit before high school graduation. Home schooled juniors and seniors must be registered with their county school board as home schooled students.
Before considering dual enrollment, students are encouraged to visit FACTS.org to learn more about dual enrollment eligibility, credits, course transferability, and more.
What are the criteria for the home school dual enrollment program at Tallahassee Community College?
- You must have attained a status equivalent to that of a public high school junior and be at least 15 years old prior to your first semester of enrollment at TCC.
- You must submit an application for dual enrollment to TCC. The application must be on file prior to the student taking the TCC placement test.
- You must have qualifying SAT, ACT or CPT (College Placement Test) scores in the verbal areas. Students who want to take college level math classes must also have appropriate test scores in Math.